A molecule in an ocean of people.
I'm not sure whether it was the Fireworks show, the fact that I have been cocooned in lovely not-too-crowded heartlands or a combination of factors, but City Hall on Friday was just plain madness. Coming out of the train station, I just wanted to turn back, go home and hide under my covers where it was safe. Against better judgement however, I braced the crowd, letting them consume me, jostle me and violate my personal space.
It was the coop during the first week of school: "I got banged again."
Hordes of people, just spilling out of buildings.
Why do people subject themselves to this? In that moment, prior fantasies about marrying a farmer in New Zealand and rearing cows and sheep on mountains came rushing back. La Moine Point's tranquility flashed in my mind's eye. I thought about WalMart and its wide accommodating aisles. Lake Ontario in summer. ahhhhh. Happy thoughts. I flashbacked to my first Canadian Odyssey epiphany - the one about people living amongst nature and away from Man being less inclined to insanity. I can think of a million places I would rather be.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment